Liquor Permit Authorization


Special Occasion Permits are required for anyone selling alcohol, or for anyone serving alcohol at an event that is not held in a commercially permitted establishment, a private residence, or another private place. This is true for private, invitation-only events as well as for public events.  SLGA will not permit a private residence, but may consider permitting an outdoor event on a farm or acreage. Outdoor events, even on private property, will still require municipal approval.

SLGA issues all Liquor permits; however, some specific types of events require municipal approval as part of the application process.

Types of Events Requiring Municipal Approval

Outdoor Events

Outdoor events require written approval from the municipality before a SLGA will issue a permit. An event that is held in an outdoor enclosed area, in a temporary structure, or in an open-air permanent structure is considered an outdoor event. Examples of outdoor SLGA permitted areas include but are not limited to:

  • Bleachers at an outdoor event, such as a ball game, rodeo, etc.
  • A fenced beer garden
  • A tent or moveable trailer, or
  • A gazebo
  • A quonset, barn, or similar permanent structure that is fully enclosed is considered an indoor location.

Sports Facilities

Municipal approval is required before SLGA will issue a permit for an arena or other sporting facility that is owned by the municipality. All or a portion of a sports arena may be permitted by SLGA for the service and consumption of beverage alcohol provided that the permittee is able to monitor and control access to the facility, consumption of beverage alcohol, and conduct of guests. SLGA may require an inspection of the permitted area prior to the special occasion permit being approved.

Typically, SLGA does not permit alcohol to be consumed in the ice surface area of a rink, except in cases where the ice has been covered or removed. Municipal approval is still required for these events.

Golf Courses

Municipal approval is required before an SLGA permit can be issued for a golf course. Where an event is taking place on a golf course that does not have a clubhouse with a commercial liquor permit, the event host may obtain a special occasion permit for all or part of the course. The SLGA permitted area must be closed to the public, and the event host is responsible for monitoring all patrons at the permitted event, including any golfers.


  • Applicants fill out the Request to Municipality for Special Occasion Permit Approval form available on the Town of Wadena website or from the Town Office and submit the completed form to the Town Office.
  • An authorized representative of the Town reviews the request to ensure compliance with existing municipal bylaws and policies; and if event is to be held at a municipal facility, confirms that a booking has been made.
  • If in compliance with existing municipal bylaws and policies, the authorized representative of the Town issues a letter to the applicant supporting the request for a special occasion permit.
  • The letter is either faxed, e-mailed, mailed or picked up, as per the applicants request on the Request to Municipality for Special Occasion Permit Approval form.