Town of Wadena
Director of Parks & Recreation
The Town of Wadena offers diverse recreation and leisure opportunities to both Wadena and the surrounding region at its municipally-owned facilities including an arena, curling rink, outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre, and golf course as well as local park spaces. The Town is seeking a highly motivated individual with a passion for sport, culture, and landscaping to lead a team of full-time and seasonal unionized employees. To ensure operational needs can be met, a willingness to work a flexible schedule which frequently includes evenings and weekends is essential. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Parks & Recreation is responsible for the following:
•Facility and Asset Management (approximately 50% of work time)
- Provide leadership and direction in the development, operation, maintenance, programming and promotion of parks & recreation facilities in a manner which assures high quality safe public use.
- Review operating costs and seek optimization opportunities.
- Schedule and facilitate required health, safety, and environmental inspections; manage records; and ensure follow-up actions are completed in a timely manner.
- Manage site security and access to facilities.
- Ensure all Town of Wadena owned properties are maintained with regards to grass, tree, and weed maintenance.
- Coordinate facility condition assessments and make recommendations as to the short/long term maintenance requirements, renovation, expansion, addition, re-purposing, or demolition of such facilities.
•Programming / Liaison (approximately 30% of work time)
- Build relationships and collaborate with local sports and culture special interest groups to ensure the needs of a diverse population are met.
- Collect information regarding programming needs considering local and regional demographics; engage with user groups; and research best practice examples in the region and province.
- Plan, organize, and promote both ongoing and new programs within budget parameters.
- Review and recommend fees for use of the Town of Wadena operated facilities, engage impacted user groups, propose fee structure to Town of Wadena Council, and implement changes.
- Seek feedback from user groups, evaluate existing programs, recommend changes, and report to Council.
- Ensure that rental agreements are executed, submit information for billing purposes in a timely manner, and assist with collection of accounts in arrears.
- Build relationships with community organizations. Assist community groups and organizations with the development and/or implementation of their programs including promotion. Coordinate and support funding applications.
- Identify funding opportunities and apply for grants; collect information and submit grant reports as required.
- Review and recommend policies to the community committees regarding programming, facility use, property and equipment purchases, storage, and safety.
- On behalf of the Town of Wadena Council act as a liaison and resource person to community groups and organizations who deliver fundraising for Town-owned facilities.
•Personnel (approximately 15% of work time)
- Supervise and assign duties to the Department staff. Provide guidance and support to contracted facility managers (Wadena Community Legion Hall, Cemetery).
- Advise Council of staff requirements through the operating budget and ensure that the positions are adequately advertised. Review all applicants and make recommendations regarding hiring selections.
- Provide staff orientation and work together with staff to develop training plans. Recommend staff training courses as required by Sask. Health and Sask. Labor.
- Review staff performance, including probation reviews. Manage performance, discipline and/or bring forward recommendations for dismissal to the attention of the Administrator.
- Ensure that programs directly sponsored by the Town of Wadena have sufficient supervisory/support staff in order to provide a safe environment.
- Conduct safety inspections; coordinate safety meetings; and report safety performance.
- Create a positive work environment.
•General (approximately 5% of work time)
- Promote the Town of Wadena and act as an ambassador to the community.
- Provide excellent customer service, resolve conflicts, and manage issues.
- Investigate or cause investigation to be made into all complaints received regarding the Department.
- Provide leadership, particularly safety leadership, as a member of the management team.
- Prepare operating and capital budgets and ensure budget control.
- Assist in the preparation of strategic plans.
- Coordinate with Parks & Recreation peers in the region to optimize resources.
- Dedicate time to ongoing professional development.
a) Graduate of a University or College course in Recreation, Kinesiology, Physical Education, Education, Facility Management, or Commerce is an asset but not a requirement.
b) Pool Operators Course and Arena Operators Level 1 and 2 Course OR Western Facility Operator Master Certificate completion preferred.
c) Three to five years of related experience in recreation and/or facility management with progressively more supervisory experience.
d) Proven track record in building relationships with a wide variety of service and civic organizations and the general public.
e) Effective oral and written communication skills.
f) Computer experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is a requirement.
g )Must hold a valid class 5 Saskatchewan Driver’s License.
This is a full – time permanent out of scope position. Qualified applicants are asked to submit a detailed resume and cover letter by email or in hardcopy to:
Town of Wadena
Wadena, SK S0A 4J0
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Only the applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.