Business Licenses

A business license is required to do business in the Town of Wadena, with the exception of those businesses who have been assessed for commercial tax in the Town of Wadena. The type of business license you need depends on the business operation and its location. This allows us to apply appropriate regulations to businesses where there is a potential for negative impacts on the community.

Business licenses are valid until December 31 each year. 

Business License Application

Home Occupations

To facilitate economic development and foster entrepreneurship, many types of businesses can operate from a residence. The standards for home occupations are intended to seek a balance between a quiet, safe and aesthetic residential environment and the aspirations of home-based entrepreneurs. Business activities which may disturb neighbourhood peace are not permitted, and must locate in an appropriate commercial or industrial zoning district.

There are two types of approvals required before operating a business out of your home.

  1. A Development Permit allows business activities to be conducted from a residential property and is regulated by the Town of Wadena’s Zoning Bylaw No. 2/87.
  2. A Business License allows you to operate your business in the Town of Wadena and is authorized by Business License Bylaw No. 16/93.

A single application form is intended for both types of approvals.